REFLECTIVE: "WHEN I DIED, ASK THE PEN" BY GABRIEL S.



There is a reason
I cannot stop playing with the pen.
Though we were not born together,
each time I hold it, I feel real—
a joy that has reshaped me.

You see, they say,
Show me your friend,
And I will tell you who you are.
This pen has named me:
A poet, a novelist, a writer, an educator.
So when I write, I summon magic.

Once, I was told my blood
was the pen’s ink, and diction—my breath.
I stood speechless, until reason found me:
When I die, do not cry—
Just ask the pen.

A sorcerer trusts his chants,
An egoist his wine.
Night after night, I clothed myself
in words, painting mental worlds,
telling stories that cross borders,
that introduce me to strangers 
Who feel like kin.

Oh, when I die, tell my siblings
and my children not to weep.
Do not think I am gone.
I live with them—
my words, my voice, my presence.
When you need me, read my lines.
I am with you— today, tomorrow, forever.


© GABRIEL S. WEAH (LYRICAL GENIUS)
-Nigeria


This poem, "WHEN I DIED, ASK THE PEN" by Gabriel S. Weah (Lyrical Genius), is a powerful metapoem that explores the relationship between the poet and their craft (the pen/writing). It's a reflective piece on the poet's identity, legacy, and how their words live on beyond them. The tone is introspective, confident, and hopeful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRISTMAS CASH PALLIATIVE SUPPORT 2025: HONOURABLE WURAOLA SALIMATA ADEWALE BRINGS JOY TO WARD G COMMUNITY

DIVINE PROTECTION: MY SNAKE FILLED JOURNEY BY ABIODUN MOSHOOD O.

BREAKING NEWS: "NIGERIA URGED TO TAKE THE REINS: LOCAL MANUFACTURING OF HIV MEDICATIONS KEY TO SUSTAINABLE RESPONSE" BY ABIODUN MOSHOOD O.